The Concord Name
The name "Concord" first came about in 1890 after the residents of School District #28 built the one room school house on today's Concord Rd. to replace the 1866 "Riverside School" on today's River Rd.
Needing a name for the new school, the name "Concord" was put forth by William A. Starkweather, named after the place Concord not far from his old new England home. In time the road that went by Concord School became "Concord Rd.", School District #28 became known as the "Concord School District", the trolley station that intersected the road became "Concord Station", Charles Risley's 1909 subdivision of part of his real estate holdings became "Concord", and a little later came "Concord Heights", "Concord Crest", and "Concord Terrace".
"Concord" was synonymous with the large area surrounding Concord School that encompassed School District #28 — originally as far as the Milwaukie City limits to the north, the Willamette River and even part of Oswego to the west, the Clackamas River to the south and today's Clackamas (once called Marshville) to the east.
Today the area called "Concord" is smaller — having been reduced in size by Oak Grove, Jennings Lodge and Gladstone.
ChronologyOLHD co-founder and longtime President Mike Schmeer has written an excellent Chronology of Concord School's History. It is also available as a PDF document.
Concord School Deeds
- 1890: Oatfield Deed to District 28 (Book 36, p. 311)
- 1904: Concord_Deed, Andrews to District 28 (Vol 91, p. 56)
- 1925: Concord Deed, Foot of Spaulding Road (Book 181, p. 437)
- 1928: Concord Deed, Lot 7, Spaulding Acres
- 1945: Concord Deed, Brownells Lot 2, Spaulding Acres (p. 1)
Class Pictures and Programs
- Here are several pictures scanned from a packet of photocopied class pictures
- A Graduation Program from 1957
- Concord PTA Constitution_and_Bylaws_1911 (PDF, 1.75 MB)
- Concord PTA Minutes 1936 (PDF, 7.88 MB)
- Concord PTA Minutes 1937 (PDF, 11.01 MB)
- Concord PTA Minutes 1938 (PDF, 10.74 MB)
- Concord PTA Minutes 1939 (PDF, 8.11 MB)
- Concord PTA Minutes 1940 (PDF, 5.05 MB)
- Concord PTA Minutes and Questionnaire March 1957 (PDF, 1.15 MB)
- History of Concord PTA, Vol. I - July, 1949 (PDF, 8.38 MB)
- History of Concord PTA, Vol. II - 1957—1958 (PDF, 4.33 MB)
- Concord PTA Annual Report 1956-57 (PDF, 1.0 MB)